Who We Are
The Mountain States Chapter of the Paralyzed Veterans of America (MSCPVA) is a member of the Paralyzed Veterans of America (PVA), a congressionally chartered veterans service organization specializing in assisting and promoting a full lifestyle for veterans affected by spinal cord injury or neurological disease.
The PVA was formed in 1946. Our chapter is one of 33 chapters of the PVA, a national organization, headquartered in Washington, DC. MSCPVA received its charter in 1955 and has served paralyzed veterans in our region (Colorado, Montana, Utah, and Wyoming) since its inception. In 1973 the IRS recognized us a tax-exempt, 501(c)(3) organization, therefore all personal contributions to MSCPVA are tax deductible.
The key objective of PVA is to take action necessary to restore spinal cord injured or diseased veterans’ bodies and life potentials as closely to those not suffering spinal cord dysfunction. This is accomplished by the coordinated efforts of the PVA organization through programs that do the following:
- Advocate for and monitor the delivery of high quality and appropriate health care benefits and services.
- Assist in identifying and securing veterans’ benefits and other benefits for spinal cord injured and diseased veterans and others as appropriate.
- Promote medical research to cure spinal cord dysfunction and other related issues.
- Educate society on the attitudinal, physical and legal barriers confronting persons with disabilities and to influence the removal of those barriers.
- Provide information and opportunities for the promotion of health, employment, sports and recreation, social services, and camaraderie for spinal cord injured and diseased veterans and others as appropriate.
- Provide cooperation and seek the support of other groups and individuals who share PVA’s objectives.
- Acquaint the public with the current and ongoing needs of America’s veterans and
- To acquaint the public with simple and effective means for reducing the risk of preventing spinal cord injury.
- To promote involvement of the public in national and local activities that support PVA’s mission.